I woke up this morning and there was an early Christmas present: the 2007 Cape Cod Baseball League Schedule! Here are some of the key dates:
- June 15th, opening day with the first pitch at Lowell Park in Cotuit at 5pm. Night games at Falmouth, Harwich, Hyannis, and Orleans.
- July 11th, the annual game at Sandwich High School with the Bourne Braves hosting the Falmouth Commodores this year.
- July 13th, the second annual New Bedford game with the Wareham Gatemen hosting the Hyannis Mets.
- July 28th, the all-star game at Clem Spillane Field in Wareham. In my opinion, this is a great place to host the game with a large capacity crowd and stadium-like atmosphere.
- August 1st, all-star recognition night at Fenway Park in Boston.
- August 10th, the beginning of the Cape League playoffs!
- August 15th, the last possible day for Cape League games and summer league play as mandated by the NCAA.
Things to note:
- Yet again, there is no Nantucket game. The Touching the Game: A Celebration of the Cape Cod Baseball League DVD praises the game as giving Nantucket a chance to see some of the action and the players a chance to see the island. I don't think New Bedford is more exciting than Nantucket, but I could be wrong...
- The league is heavily relying on no rainouts during the playoffs. One missed game will cause a double-header.
- Hyannis games are now all at 7pm thanks to the new lights!
- All Sunday games at Bourne are at 2pm. Go after church!
- On July 4th, games start at 2pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, and 7pm. Theoretically, this gives someone the opportunity of going to 5 Cape League games in one day. Dare to try?