The clouds opened up mid-day for the 3pm matchup at Red Wilson Field in South Yarmouth where the Y-D Red Sox (#1) beat the Falmouth Commodores (#8) 8-2. The Y-D bats picked up right where they left off last night in Chatham with a solo shot by Grant Green (USC) and a Gordon Beckham (Georgia) RBI in the 1st. Green and Joey Railey (San Francisco) combined for 2 more RBIs in the 2nd. Green added another run in the 4th with his 2nd round-tripper.
Falmouth would not answer until the 4th inning when David Adams (Virginia) hit a near home run to left. The ball appeared to bounce off the top of the fence, but the hit was ruled a double. Adams would go on to get the run anyway by scoring on a passed ball. Falmouth would score just one more run in the 6th when Adams scored again off back-to-back passed balls.
Y-D pitching continued to be strong with 2006 (and now 2007) playoff star Terry Doyle (Boston College) getting the nod and going a strong 7 1/3rd innings with a few Ks in the mix.
The Red Sox added 3 insurance runs in the 8th by combining for five singles (Romero, Cowgill, Railey, Long, Posey). Controversy struck after Buster Posey's (Florida St.) single and led to a minute-long umpire huddle. Y-D fans were asking for an interference call that prevented Matt Long (Santa Clara) from scoring. In the end, the runs did not matter, so I am glad that the discussion didn't last more than a couple minutes.
Some other game notes:
- It was a scary scene on the 3rd base side when a woman was hit by a foul ball early in the contest. She was taken off on a stretcher in the 4th, but her smiles told me that she will be ok.
- There were a couple of kids getting the 3rd based crowed pumped up with some homemade signs--one saying "Go Y-D." Seeing that reminded me of the Chatham mascot attempts in Summer Catch.
- The 50/50 prize was $1900 (a lot more than last night in Falmouth!) and the winner donated the money back to the team.
- With two this afternoon, Y-D now has 6 playoff homers. Falmouth has none.
- It's do-or-die for Falmouth tomorrow night as they host game 2 of the series at 7pm.
- My playoffs Flickr photoset continues to grow.