Notes From a Couple of Sunday's Games

by Dave B. in

I had been looking forward to seeing Andrew Gagnon pitch and when I got that opportunity yesterday, Gagnon did not disappoint. The 6'4" righthander from Long Beach State pitched a 7 inning complete game, allowing just one walk and two hits, in leading host Brewster past Hyannis, 1-0. Gagnon created some trouble for himself in the first inning when he gave up an infield single to leadoff batter Mark Micowski before hitting Zach Osborne and Jason Nappi to load the bases with one out. A groundball and a strikeout ended that opportunity for the Harbor Hawks and that would be the only time they threatened in this game. In the bottom of the first. Brewster's Drew Martinez walked, stole second, and came around to score the only run of the game on a basehit by Andy Burns.

Brian Dupra (Notre Dame) was the tough-luck loser for Hyannis. Dupra gave up 3 hits and walked two over 6 innings.

Although I did not stay for the second game of this doubleheader, if I had, I would have seen a near instant replay as the Whitecaps scored a run in the bottom of the first and went on to win their second 1-0 game of the day.

NOTES:  Brewster has the best record in the league at 11-3. Hyannis fell to 7-7. Gagnon is now 2-0 and he lowered his ERA to 1.84. Martinez' stolen base was his 12th in 13 attempts and he finished the day batting .408, tops in the league. The Whitecaps 1.98 team ERA is best in the league. A lot of people were still talking about the great matchup on Saturday night between Brewster's Anthony Ranaudo (LSU) and Wareham's Matt Barnes (UConn). The Whitecaps eventually won the game, 5-3. The game lived up to expectations while the starters were in. Ranaudo allowed just one hit and one walk while striking out 8 over 6.2 scoreless innings. Barnes gave up one run on four hits and a walk in 7 innings. He struckout 14. Much of the chatter yesterday concerned the fact that Barnes was allowed to throw 135 pitches.  

My second game of the day found me at Veterans Field where Chatham was hosting Wareham in a scheduled doubleheader. Wareham got the early jump as George Springer homered to the hill in right field in the top of the first. The opposite-field blast was Springer's third, tieing him with Orleans' Kolten Wong for the league lead. The score remained 1-0 until the home half of the third when things fell apart for Wareham. Gatemen starter Jack Armstrong (Vanderbilt) was his own worst enemy. Mark Ginther got things started for the Anglers with a double just inside the line in left. Jason Martin bunted and the ball was fielded cleanly by Armstrong but his throw to first was high, pulling Adam McClain off the bag and allowing Martin to reach safely. Leadoff batter Brian Humphries was up next and he chopped a ball that Armstrong reached for and deflected into no-man's land between the mound and second base. That allowed Ginther to score and left runners on first and second with no outs. When Stephen Perez bunted, Armstrong once again fielded the ball cleanly but he threw the ball into leftfield in his attempt to get Martin at third. Martin scored, Humphries went to third, and Perez ended up on second as the result of Armstrong's second error of the inning. The third run scored on a wild pitch and the Anglers added their fourth run of the inning when Joe Pavone hit a sacrifice fly to center. Chatham's four runs were scored on just two hits. 

Wareham narrowed the gap in the fifth when Springer singled home Anthony Toth. Springer's RBI came on the third hit in the inning off Chatham starter Derek Self (Louisville). With Wareham threatening for more, Self struckout the dangerous Alex Dickerson and got Jerrud Sabourin to hit a grounder to first to strand two runners.

The Anglers tacked on one more run in the fifth. Again, Armstrong did not help the cause. After retiring the leadoff batter, he walked Perez and Rick Oropesa. Pavone lined a single to left and when Dickerson bobbled the ball, Perez came around to score, accounting for the 5-2 final.

The fog that had been rolling in throughout much of the first game lead to the eventual postponement of the second game. The scoreless game was delayed going to the bottom of the third. Many people - myself included - were surprised when the game was called. The conditions seemed to have improved after the half-hour delay. Starters in the second game were Mark Zecchino (Virginia Tech) for Chatham and Max Perlman (Harvard) for Wareham.

NOTES:  Chatham moves to 8-4-1 with the win while Wareham drops to 4-9. The strange scoring line shows Chatham with 5 runs on 3 hits while Wareham had 2 runs on 7 hits. Chatham defeated Wareham 6-5 at Spillane Field on Thursday. Wareham made 4 errors in each game and most were costly. Of the 11 combined runs Chatham scored in the two games, 7 were unearned. The Anglers are batting just .238 but that places them second in the league behind Y-D (.245). Kevin Vance pitched a 1-2-3 seventh inning to earn his third save. The game ended with an interesting combination of Springer at bat, with Vance pitching and Pavone catching. All three are from UConn. Springer and Pavone had an animated conversation before Vance induced a grounder to third for the final out. The postponed game will be made up on July 13 and it will be a 9 inning game.  Crowds at Cape League ballparks should increase in the next week with the start of vacation time for many folks. There are no games scheduled in the league today. This will allow members of all ten teams to attend a showcase event at Fenway Park.