Ryan Perez (Judson) impressed scouts this summer for a few reasons:
- He had great stats (39 strikeouts, 1.97 ERA in 27.1 innings pitched)
- He pitched a perfect inning in the 2014 CCBL All-Star Game and earned the West All-Star MVP
- He is ambidextrous (i.e. he can pitch with both arms)
His story makes him even more interesting. In fall 2011, Perez had Tommy John surgery on his right arm and was forced to throw exclusively with his left arm for a couple years. He learned how to throw with left arm when he was only 5 years old.
Perez pitched this summer for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks, who were recently sent home after a playoff series loss to the Falmouth Commodores. Commissioner Paul Galop recently announced the round 2 schedule for the 2014 Cape League Playoffs.
For more on Perez, check out the following articles:
- Cape Cod Times - 'Switch pitcher' wows Cape Cod Baseball League
- CBS Sports - Meet Ryan Perez, the Cape Cod League's ambidextrous pitcher
- Fox News - Fully armed: Ambidextrous pitcher is wowing Cape Cod League with lefty, righty fastballs
- Baseball America - Cape Cod League Focus: Ryan Perez